Tattoo Portfolio

Please enjoy this slideshow of my work; for larger views of my portfolio, come visit me at flickr .

This slideshow is made with flash and unfortunately will not work on the iPhone/iPad (yet!). Follow the link above for scrollable views of my photos.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

books are food for the brain

Yesterday, I bought the new novel from Elizabeth Kostova, The Swan Thieves.  I really enjoyed her first book, The Historian, and have already read it 3 times!
Kostava has a very fluid, descriptive style of writing that sucks you right in and makes it impossible to put the book down.


 I don't even know what the Swan Thieves is about yet, but I know i love her work and will buy anything she writes. That says a lot for a young (in the literature sense) author!

 The Historian is one of the books i always recommend to people when they ask for opinions on what they should read next. Looking forward to digging in to the Swan Thieves.

Also reading "Let's Be Realistic" by Mike Devries, who is known for his work in color portrait tattoos. I consider myself a life-long student and am always looking for new/different/interesting ways to make my tattooing better. Once you think you know everything there is to know, you should probably just stop tattooing. There's always going to be many people who can teach me something, and knowledge comes in many forms.
There's some good tips and tricks in here, but  there's also quite a bit of filler. For a book that's aimed towards people who've been tattooing professionally for a long time, i think chapters on the basic things we learned as apprentices is a bit superfluous.
There's no denying that DeVries is very skilled and knowledgeable about what he does, and it's always interesting and informative to learn how how people work.